Second Summit on New Media Art Archiving
Call for Participation
In partnership with Ars Electronica, the Archive of Digital Art (ADA), the SIGGRAPH History Archive, the Electronic Language International Festival (FILE), and the ISEA Symposium Archives, ISEA2022 announces the Second Summit on New Media Art Archiving. It will be held during ISEA2022, the 27th International Symposium on Electronic Art and in co-operation with several major institutes in Barcelona.
The need to preserve the history of the rapidly evolving field of new media arts has spurred the development of a wide variety of new media art archives throughout the world. Museums, cultural and educational institutions, as well as individuals with collections have developed, or are planning to create, physical and/or online archives in an effort to preserve important artifacts and document events and works. The Second Summit on New Media Art Archiving aims to facilitate critical discourse and collaboration amongst archivists, curators, and other parties interested in preserving the past. This summit will serve as an incubator of innovative ideas, production techniques, and infrastructure development as well as assist in connecting like-minded individuals in an effort to create a unified approach to solving the complex problem of preserving the history of new media artforms and events.
The initiative started with an ISEA round table discussion on new media archiving at ISEA2018 in Durban, South Africa and was followed by an enormously well-attended roundtable at ISEA2019 in Gwangju, South Korea. The First Summit on New Media Art Archiving was held during ISEA2020, (online from Montreal, Canada) featuring a keynote lecture, paper presentations, and break-out sessions. This Second Summit on New Media Art Archiving will build upon the results of the first summit and also include archiving physical artifacts, digitizing museum collections, and innovative approaches to archiving, as well as an emphasis on connecting new media art archives worldwide.
The summit will take place during the first two days of ISEA2022, 10-11 June (subject to change), in parallel with the Workshops & Tutorials. Results of the summit will be presented during the ISEA2022 academic conference, June 12-16. The Second Summit on New Media Art Archiving will be a blended event, happening at a physical location in Barcelona (tba) and online.
The Topics of the Summit
- Museums and the integration of Digital Arts
- Communication and Coordination among Archivists Cooperation among Museums and New Media Art Archives
- Funding Initiatives
- Developing and Maintaining Physical Archives
- New Directions in Online Archiving
- New Technologies for Archiving (AI, VR/AR, Graph databases, other)
Proposals are invited for the following:
- Short Lightning Talks on Archives (1 page proposal)
- Short (2 pages) and Long (5 pages) Papers
- Panels (1 page proposal, including the panelists)
- Round Table discussions (1 page proposal)
- Workshop and Tutorial proposals (1 page proposal, for 2 or 4 hours long sessions)
- Artworks related to archives or archival practises as well as data visualisation of archives (1 page proposal). This will be an online exhibition—we will be accepting works that can be displayed on a monitor at the symposium and also be available on the Internet. Still images, video and animations, documentation of installations, interactive works, objects, performances, and other works will be considered.
Deadline for Submissions: January 31, 2022